A few weeks ago I posted a Monday morning mini-mix with the words "whistle while you work," because the five songs I included were newish tunes I love that just happen to include a little bit of whistling. Plucking those songs out of my collection made me wonder just how much whistling there really is in "indie rock" (or whatever you want to call the music I listen to and write about), and as it turns out, there's a ton. For the past few weeks I've been sifting through some of my favorite artists and albums, and discovering that Peter, Bjorn and John and Andrew Bird are not the only artists who aren't afraid to pucker up and blow. Josh Rouse, Man Man, Cold War Kids, J. Tillman and Loney, Dear all have excellent songs featuring a bit of whistling, and I've pulled them together along with the original five from the mini-mix and six additional artists to create Whistle While You Work. It's a nice little hour-long mix that features what I think are some amazingly good tunes, and I promise it doesn't get annoying, though it may leave you walking around doing a bit of whistling yourself.
Oh and yes, I did leave "Young Folks" off the list on purpose.
This is my submission for Yewknee's Summer Mix Series, which quickly became one of my favorite things about last summer. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should immediately. Just make sure you download my mix before you too carried away with the others.
[ download .zip ]
1. Devotchka - Til the End of Time
2. The Shaky Hands - Sunburns
3. Josh Rouse - Quiet Town
4. Iron & Wine and Calexico - Prison on Route 41
5. Menomena - Boyscout'n
6. Man Man - Van Helsing Boombox
7. The Nobility - Halleluiah Chorus
8. Guster - Red Oyster Cult
9. Cold War Kids - Pregnant
10. Radical Face - Glory
11. The Good, The Bad & The Queen - Nature Springs
12. TV On The Radio - A Method
13. Department Of Eagles - No One Does It Like You
14. Andrew Bird - Scythian Empires
15. J. Tillman - My Waking Days
16. Loney, Dear - Warm, Dark, Comforting Night